15 September 2006

Wherefore Art Thou, Gameday?

My roommate Jerz let me hear the almost inexplicable news that ESPN's College Gameday will be MIA as far as the biggest games this weekend.

They're going to be in sunny California, broadcasting from the Western division game, two timezones removed from the giant battles taking place to the east. LSU v Auburn? No Gameday. Florida v Tennessee? No Gameday. Notre Dame v Michigan? No Gameday.

No, they go for the song girls, and place themselves in LA-LA land to watch USC crush the Cornhuskers.

Now, if the Corn Fed Ones are somehow able to topple the Profilactics, the programmers in charge of this move are going to look like geniuses. But for all the "ABC owns ESPN" rationalization, I just can't remember, for the life of me, the last time Gameday picked such an inferior game on such an important weekend. Maybe that's my failing. Maybe they do this all the time. But I don't think that is the case. Even if it was, I still think it is crap.

Third Battle of New Orleans thinks its crap too, as does my favorite sports blog, EDSBS.

EDSBS even provides links that mention the late date of the change, as Gameday was scheduled for Knoxville until the last minute....

1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Dante said...

As someone who refuses to pay for something beamed right into your living room for free, I am always glad when GameDay doesn't touch a game. It makes that much more likely I'll actually get to see it. I'm still fuming from the NFL putting games on both ESPN and NBC, two stations I do not pick up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home