24 April 2006

The Georgia Football Dream Platform

I'm tired of hearing about dream political platforms for parties who are more worried about buying votes than making our country a better place so I've decided to come up with my own dream platform. This is my UGA football dream platform:

Plank 1: Tackling
1. We need to tackle better. Period. Don't beleive me? Rewatch that WV game. I'm sure that could go under some other plank but it's such an important concept that I've given it its own plank. Like my high school coach always said, "If you can't tackle, they're going to score every time they touch the ball. Tackling is the most important thing in all of football." [Addition on 4/25:] I forgot coach's other saying about tackling: "It's the only thing that every single player on the field needs to know how to do."

Plank 2: Opponents
1. We need to stop playing non-Division-I schools. I know Georgia Southern likes to think of themselves as a rival but they're not. UGA and the Falcons aren't rivals. Neither are UGA and Georiga Southern. Division I-AA even has a playoff system instead of a bunch of bowl games. How backwards is that?
2. We desperately need a "pick a fight" mentality in scheduling. I'd rather see us have 8-4 seasons against the best college football has to offer than 10-1 against a weak non-conference schedule. Let's go out and challenge the best college football teams in the nation to play against us and then call them out for being the fraidy cats they are if they turn us down. I hate continually living in denial thinking to myself that we're not using the 10-win-guarantee non-conference school selection system that Richt is all too familiar with from his Florida State days.

Plank 3: Stadium
1. Make the stadium seating as uncomfortable as possible. Get rid of those stupid cushy seats. They're giving people the idea that it's ok (and maybe even expected) to sit during a football game and that's just wrong. Metal benches all around. Even in the skybox.
2. Either enforce seating or don't. I'd be fine with tickets that only had area designations on them. I'm not fine with whiners who complain about seating assignments that obviously don't exist. If they're going to enforce seating form the get-go then that's fine with me too.

[Added at Pat's request 4/25:]
Plank 4: Offense
1. Catching the Ball. I can understand not catching a ball thrown 3 yards wide, high or short. I cannot understand being open, being hit - in the hands - and dropping the pass.
[Courtesy of SAWB 4/25:] 2. The running game. Pehraps, given the successes of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and their ilk, we could try banging inside with a large back, Kregg Lumpkin comes to mind, for the first quarter or so, and then start running the cutesy off-tackle stuff. I know that the motion-run offense is a vestige of Richt's tenure at Free Shoes Unlimited, but as Auburn keeps proving, year after year, you can win games by wearing down the middle of the defense first.

3 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger Patrick Armstrong said...

I would like to add a Plank 4: Catching the Ball.

I can understand not catching a ball thrown 3 yards wide, high or short. I cannot understand being open, being hit - in the hands - and dropping the pass.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Dante said...

I'll give you a plank for offense and a subheading under that for catching.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger S.A.W.B. said...

Plank #2 under offense. The running game. Pehraps, given the successes of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and their ilk, we could try banging inside with a large back, Kregg Lumpkin comes to mind, for the first quarter or so, and then start running the cutesy off-tackle stuff. I know that the motion-run offense is a vestige of Richt's tenure at Free Shoes Unlimited, but as Auburn keeps proving, year after year, you can win games by wearing down the middle of the defense first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home